Rainbow Mountain – Palccoyo
Just on the outskirts of Cusco lies the most visited attraction, seven colours stripped Rainbow Mountains, Vinicunca and Palccoyo. Palccoyo is about a three and a half drive away from Cusco. Most part of the journey is through unpaved bumpy roads. The vista along the route is an absolute reward. The sights of local herders speaking Quechua and grazing the Andean camelids – Alpacas and Llamas, snow-capped peak of the “Apu” Ausangate is absolutely impressive. In contrast to Vinicunca, where hikers set off from their hotel at an ungodly hour (from 3:30 AM), a trip to Palcoyo is much easier. The trip to Palcoyo starts at 07:00 AM. There is no rush to reach to the top to get that perfect Insta- pic as there are much fewer people here. And, while tourism is still its infancy, the local community have already organised basic infrastructure to welcome visitors.
Colonial heritage in Checacupe:
As we would be driving to Palcoyo from Cusco, we will be doing a brief stop in Checacupe, a small village. This village is known for the colonial church. Although it may not be eye-catching from outside, the interior of the church is simply breathtaking.
Just around the main street of Checacupe, lies a small bridge made of rope. This was built during the Spanish rule and it replicates Qeswachaka, the last remaining Inca bridge.
DeparturePick up from your Hotel
Departure Time4:00 AM.
Return TimeApproximately 6:00 PM.
Dress CodeWarm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf and beanie/touk
IncludedAccommodationEntrancesFirst aid kit and emergency oxigenMealsPick up from your HotelProfessional GuideTransportation
Not IncludedWalking Stick
Day 1: CUSCO–PALCCOYO
We will be leaving from Cusco at around 07:00 AM. On our journey down to the southern valley, we will be driving through some small communities, mountains and rivers. We will stop in Checacupe where you can use the toilets and buy some snacks. Here you can also visit the colonial church and the bridge that replicated Qeswachaks, built during the Spanish rule.
After a brief stop, we will continue our uphill drive through the scenic unpaved road towards the Rainbow Mountain Palccoyo. On the way, we will be passing through some schools and houses. As we would reach our base camp at 4,900 meters, our local guide would brief you on what lies ahead.
You will be hiking up the hill to the highest point, for about 45 minutes. The highest point is at 5000 meters. On the way, we will be passing through the distinct formations of the rainbow-coloured mountain range.
The view from the top is simply breath-taking. From the summit, you will get a view of the Vilcanota Mountain range and the highest peak in Cusco – “Apu” Ausangate.
After spending some time here, we will start our 30 minutes descend back down. Once here, we will take the van back to Checacupe where we will stop for lunch before starting our journey back to Cusco.
- Pre trek briefing.
- Pick-up from the hotel in Cusco.
- Round trip transport.
- English/Quechua/Spanish speaking professional guide. (you will have an assistant guide for groups over 6 people).
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary. (optional vegetarian food). Our professional cooks prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional Peruvian delicacies.
- Entrance to the Palcoyo Mountain. (10 Soles)
- Tipping is completely optional. We take good care of our staff.
- A light day pack.
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho. You can buy them in Cusco for USD 1.
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf and beanie/touk.
- Camera, films and batteries. (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold.
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body.
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Cash – sufficient for snacks and souvenirs.
- Walking sticks or poles.
- If you would like to make a reservation for this program, please e-mail us.
- Once you have chosen your tour, please read the Booking Terms & Conditions, as your booking is subject to these terms.
- Then fill out and submit the Reservation Form that you will find in the Booking Online section of this website.
- In case your reservation is confirmed, a money deposit will be requested to secure your reservation.
- Once we confirm the deposit reception, your booking is confirmed.
- A Service Confirmation Form will be sent to you including all the details of your program.
- In case you have any doubts, queries or require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Walking Stick $2.
PRICE $USD PER PERSONPrivate Group
|Person||2||3||4||5-6||7-8||9-12||Per Person USD|