Huchuy Qosqo Peru (‘Little Cusco’) or also known by the Incas as Kakya Qawani is an Incan archaeological site. It was built during the rule of the eight Inca Emperor Wiracocha. He built is as a Royal estate in (c. 1410-1438).
Unlike the rest, the Incas did not practise tax system. Instead, they controlled the land and labour. This allowed them to acquire more and more land and pass it down to their heir.
The Inca empire used royal states as country palaces or fortresses during times of war.
During the last days of Wiracocha’s rule, he faced revolt from the Cancha Community. Fearing his life, he handed over the throne of Cusco to his son Pachacutec and took asylum in Huchuy Qosqo Peru.
On his death, his mummified corpse was stored in Huchuy Qosqo. When the Spanish troops invaded the complex, they burnt the corpse of Wiracocha.
‘Little Cusco’ got its name back in the 20th century and it was also used as an agriculture settlement because of the irrigation channel (along 800m) that provides water during the dry season.
On our Huchuy Qosqo trek 2 days you will discover the archeological site that overlooks the Sacred Valley with a high altitude of 3,650 meters (11,980 feet) and above the town of Lamay, located north of Cusco.
You will be able to delight in the beautiful landscapes and inca scenery, and learn more about the inca culture. We are one of the few tour operators to operate this Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days.
Do take a moment to check our review on Trip Advisor.
DeparturePick up from your Hotel
Departure Time5:00 AM.
Return TimeApproximately 6:00 PM.
Dress CodeWarm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf and beanie/touk
IncludedAccommodationEntrancesFirst aid kit and emergency oxigenMealsPick up from your HotelProfessional GuideTransportation
Not IncludedWalking Stick
Day 1: CUSCO – QORAO – HUCHUY QOSQO
We will pick you up very early in the morning (06:00 AM) from your hotel in Cusco. About an hour away from Cusco, at 3400 meters above the sea level sits a remote town, Qorao. Once served as a ceremonial complex associated with the worship of water.
We will be beginning our Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days here. We will be hiking around the Sacred Valley of Incas. From here, you will get an impressive view over the series of valleys and mountain ranges.
We will continue the hike along the trail that is widely used for grazing the Andean camelids such as Alpacas and Llamas. Along the trail, you will also be spotting the Andean birdlife.
Once we arrive at Q'enqo (3,500 meters) we will be stopping to have lunch around 11:00 AM. After lunch, we will continue the trek for almost two and a half hours on a route that once served as a highway during the Inca rule.
During the journey, we will be passing through some pre-Inca structures. And at around quarter past one, we will be reaching the archaeological site of Huchuy Qosqo and have a guided tour around the settlement.
You will have the rest of the evening for yourself, you will be able to walk around this stunning site and get immersed in the atmosphere of this place. At dusk, we will have dinner and set up our camp overlooking the site.
Day 2: HUCHUY QOSQO – LAMAY – CUSCO
After having a local breakfast at the campsite, we will start our downhill hike on a dirt road for almost two and a half hours to the village of Lamay, which is part of the Sacred valley of Incas. From Lamay, we will be taking a bus to return back to Cusco, we will be arriving at noon.
*We highly recommend Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days for those willing to indulge in an easier adventure. (not too high to having altitude sickness, neither too hard as the Inca trail trek)
*If you are looking for only a day trip, you can reach us. We can plan a one day Huchuy Qosqo Trek.
NOTES ON THE ITINERARY
- The times given on this itinerary are approximate.
- Duration of hike depends on how the group progresses.
- The trip offers plenty of adventure.
- For complete information, please send us an email.
- The day before we start this trek, we will be gathering at your hotel or our office to give you a detailed briefing on the trek and to address any queries you may have.
- Although this trek is do-able throughout the year, April to November is considered to be an ideal period to do Huchuy Qosqo Trek.
What is included?
- Pre trek briefing.
- Pick-up from your hotel.
- Transport from Cusco to the trailhead in a private car.
- Entry fee to Huchuy Qosqo.
- English/Quechua/Spanish speaking professional guide. (you will have an assistant guide if you are in a group of over 6 people)
- Tents – 2 people in a 4 people tent for extra comfort and also to store your backpacks.
- Basic foam mattress.
- Toilet tent.
- Toilet paper, pack-in & pack out.
- One emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if are a little slower.
- Tents for our staff to sleep in.
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Private transport from Lamay to Cusco.
- Cook and Cooking equipment. (Assistants are provided for larger groups).
- Meals. (optional vegetarian food)
- Dining tent with camp tables and chairs & Kitchen tent for the cook to prepare meals.
- One textile snack bag per person, to avoid using plastic bags that contaminate our environment.
What is not included?
- Lunch and Dinner on the last night.
- Breakfast in the first morning.
- Entrance to the thermal springs.
- Sleeping bags – If you haven’t got a sleeping bag or you don’t want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you, then we have sleeping bags to rent.
Please Note: We take good care of our staff, so tipping them is completely optional.
What we recommend that your bring:
- A light day pack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek – prepare for a vast range of changes in temperature.
- Sleeping bag. (we can hire these to you)
- Snacks: biscuits, chocolates, dry fruits, energy bars etc.
- Non-disposable canteen. (Nalgene type) and water for the first morning.
- Your own medical kit with any special medications that you might require, paracetamol, second skin for blisters etc.
- Cash in soles and/or US$.
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended.
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries.
- Camera and batteries. (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
How to do the booking?
- If you would like to make a reservation for this program, please e-mail us.
- Once you have chosen your tour, please read the Booking Terms & Conditions, as your booking is subject to these terms.
- Then fill out and submit the Reservation Form that you will find in the Booking Online section of this website.
- In case your reservation is confirmed, a money deposit will be requested to secure your reservation.
- Upon receiving the advance payment, we will send you a service confirmation voucher bearing the programme details.
- Should you need any more information do not hesitate to write to us. We will be happy to guide you.
- Sleeping Bag USD 5 per day.
- Walking Stick USD 2 per day.
- Inflatable Mattress $5 per day.
PRICE $USD PER PERSONPrivate Group
|Person||2||3||4||5-6||7-8||9-12||Per Person USD|